Re: Remington and Russell

From: John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 09:30:11 PDT

    "Julie K. Curtis" wrote:
    > One of the teachers requested that we look at one of
    > the western artists this year. Then I found out that our local art museum
    > will be having an exhibit on Remington and Russell next spring. Because of
    > this I would really love to have the students learn about one of these
    > artists. I have no problem getting the biographical info, but I am having a
    > hard time coming up with a project. Because both of their work was so
    > realistic, I'm just not sure what the kids could do successfully. I have
    > thought of just some type of art with a western type theme but I really want
    > them to appreciate the type of art that is representative of these two great
    > artists.
    > Thank you for any suggestions.
    > Julie Curtis
    > jkcurtis@curtis-assoc.com
    Okay I'm off hold for awhile(to those I told) but I'll be on hold
    again soon.
    How about doing the (remington/russell??) statues. Small clay horses
    with cowboys on top. I have a set of three books on western painters
    (cowboys) remington, Russell and someone else??? Given to me by an
    old boyfriend born and raised in Montana. I've never done a project
    on them but have thought about the clay horse project. Perhaps after
    they do the clay project you could alternate kids pieces to draw, as
    a model for the class. Perhaps someone has a horse you could borrow
    and draw or go visit a stable and draw.
    Sandra
    astroboy

    ---