Re: Remington and Russell

From: PGStephens
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 09:23:36 PDT

    Dear Julie:

    Remington and Russell were distinctly different in their approaches to the
    art of the Old West. Remington highly romanticized his images. For
    instance, in "Dash for the Timber", one of the Remington masterworks here in
    the Amon Carter Museum (Fort Worth), horse people have sometimes pointed out
    that one of the cowboys is using a woman's saddle. Russell, on the other
    hand, was more in-tune to the real West and depicted with great care and
    accuracy details that accompanied certain ceremonies, places, or events;
    especially those of the native Americans he so admired.

    I would recommend that you contact the education department at the Amon
    Carter Museum or the Sid Richardson Collection of Western Art for ideas about
    meaningfully teaching the content and ideas of these artists. Both of these
    museum education departments have superior staff members.

    The Amon Carter website is http://www.cartermuseum.org/
    The Sid Richardson website is http://www.sidrmuseum.org/

    Pam
    http://www.ARTeaches.com