Re: reply about supplies

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 09:12:51 PDT

    from: Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
    Los Cerros Middle School
    968 Blemer Road
    Danville, CA 94526
    ************************

    >From: Jhirunrtx
    (clip)
    >.....various containers for water for painting (I save the plastic lids off of
    > gallon laundry det, they make great containers for water for watercolors.
    > Also save yogurt and butter containers)......
    ***********************

    I would also add that if you visit your local resturant supply store, you
    can find tons of stuff to augment your basic supplies.....like, for $1.98
    you can get 50 water containers in any size you want. True...it's not $0 but
    it seems to make your room a little more organized-looking when the
    containers match, smile, and $1.98 is not a big stretch. Besides, you can
    get the size you want and they're clear so you tell if the kids washed them
    out. It also saves the occasional fight over who's going to get the green
    one and who gets the black one (hey...I teach mid. school). This is also a
    good place for cheap paper plates if you want to use these for palettes.
    Also coffee filters and squirt bottles for keeping paint in, water buckets
    and cheap sponges,....etc. You can also get a sponge mop and ladder. Those
    are definite necessities.

    I'd also make a quick tour to all the local framing galleries to get
    leftover matboard pieces which generally get thrown away. Make friends with
    these owners (and pick it up on time!) and you'll have an on-going supply
    forever. Matboard makes great weaving boards plus so many other things
    you'll discover.

    If you need tempera paint, I'd suggest SAX True Color in gallons with pumps.
    Best blue and red I've found and great consistency.

    The 6mm Prang colored pencils are large, cover like Prismacolor, but last a
    whole lot longer than other, thinner brands.

    I'd buy really good brushes over medium or low quality ones and insist the
    kids learn how to care for them. These cared-for brushes can last 10 years
    or so.

    GOOD scissors...not the cheap ones. You get what you pay for.

    Also...buy TWO things you see in the catalogue that you know nothing about.
    It makes life interesting and you might even learn a new thing or two.
    Toodles......

    ---