Interpretations on a theme- narrative art

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 08:32:06 PDT

    Howdy fellow artsednetters!
    I'm doing a lesson for my high school students on Narrative Art and I need
    some input from all of you 'all-knowing art educators.' I want to explore
    how different artists and cultures have interpreted the same story or myth
    differently. After we compare and contrast several pairs that do this, I
    want students to choose a story that has been depicted in art (such as the
    Crucifixion) and interpret it through their own painting in a more
    contemporary approach. I need some examples of pairs of artists that have
    depicted the same legend. Here's some examples I've thought of but I need
    more:

    1. Leonardo and Salvador Dali depicting the Last Supper
    2. El Greco and (someone else) doing the Crucifixion
    3. Thai and Japanese Buddha Sculptures

    It will REALLY help if you know where any of these artworks are posted on
    the web because I will need the images for a PowerPoint presentation. The
    lesson and presentation will be posted on the Learn NC site at
    http://www.learnnc.com but I will send copies of it when it's completed to
    anyone whose interested (write me off the list at
    michelle_h_harrell).

    Thanks in advance!
    Michelle H. Harrell
    michelle_h_harrell