Re: Santa Fe -Long

From: Nancy Walkup (walkup)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 06:39:09 PDT

    And how did you recognize "Mr. Clean"?

    Nancy

    walkup
    http://www.art.unt.edu/ntieva/

    >>> Iteachart7 07/18/00 06:01PM >>>
    Dear Art folks:
    I just wanted to share my experience with you. I, along with 9 other women
    (4 of them art teachers) spent a week in Santa Fe New Mexico with Nancy
    Walkup and her "Tres Culturas" the visual language of art workshop.
    This was not just any week, this was an extraordinary week! We spent the
    time learning about the 3 cultures of NM. We learned about Pueblo Indians,
    the Mexicans and the Hispanics. AND we went to the Georgia O'keffe Museum AND
    her house and studio. This was the highlight of the trip for me. I meet
    Georgia O'keefe in 1977 at my Univ. She was part of the visiting artist
    series. I have been enamored ever since.
    To see the Paintings that I feel in love with up close and personal, I was
    overwhelmed.
    We learned about the Pueblo Storyteller dolls and had an opportunity to make
    one of our own design. Nancy gave us each a fabulous book on the
    art/history/stories on these dolls as well. We Went to the Folk art Museum.
    I could've spent 24 hours there. The displays were incredible! We went to a
    local Tinsmiths' home to learn traditional Mexican tinsmithing. We went to
    Chimayo to see the Chapel and the "shrines" people have left behind as proof
    of the miracles "experienced" and in the tiny room in the back there was a
    small hole from where people could take a handful of dirt thought to possess
    "healing powers" We went to Jesus Bautiste Moroles' coumpound/studio and
    then on the Lewellen gallery in town to see his exhibit of granite
    sculptures. On Friday nite we were able to got to all the local museums and
    galleries. It was a wonderful experience for me as I have always wanted to go
    to Santa Fe. It was quite reasonable. oh yeah and there was this crazy lady
    making everyone newspaper hats.....................LOL

    AND, Guess who I got to fly home with??
    Mr. Clean! The guy who plays Mr. Clean was sitting right next to me. I even
    got an autographed 8x10. Sorry Nancy, it's all mine!!!!
    Great to be back. Wondering what you all have been up to.
    Peace
    Gabrielle