OT: ADA Tenant Landlord problem

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 17:07:05 PDT

    I know several of you are very well versed in ADA requirements and I hope
    you might be able to help my coworker. She lives a senior citizens complex
    and the building manager is being verbally abusive to those tenants who use
    walkers and scooters. He has banned them from one of the two laundry rooms.
    Even though the company just bought a bus with a lift, he will not allow
    them to take their scooters on the bus. This is the only transportation many
    have to the grocery store. He tell them they have to use the scooters
    provided by the stores, but the number of tenants who need them out number
    the scooters the stores provide. He threatens them if they try to take their
    complaints to a higher level.

    I called the city manager and his office gave me the address and phone
    number for the federal DOJ's office on the ADA (civil rights division), and
    the building manager here in the cactus is going to give us some state
    information. I have suggested finding out who his supervisor is and filing a
    complaint with them giving them 30 days to remedy the situations or
    complaints will be filed with the feds and state of TX. I've also suggested
    they file a complaint the Better Business Bureau. And if nothing else works
    call the media in (the anchor for one local station is a docent that helps).

    If you have any other suggestions please e-mail them to me off list at
    kimberly

    Thanks,
    Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
    CAM Administrator