Re: AP Studio

From: LM Paris (paris)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 07:35:09 PDT

    Hi Cathy Jo,

    I will be teaching the same course for the first time this year also.
    It will only be my 4th year teaching, but I have seen an absolutely
    amazing lesson done in the program before.

    The students used a color photograph of themselves, head and shoulders
    only....or a close up if they were sitting in with their arms wrapped
    around their knees. In other words, it was definitely a portrait. Then
    they just ripped and tore hundreds, probably thousands, of colors from
    magazine images to match colors in the photo and "recreated" the
    photograph, enlarged in a montage. I was to look 3-D and real when
    completed. It was not in any way suppose to be an abstraction of the
    photo. Some students were so careful in capturing subtle color/value
    differences that when you first looked at the montage it looked like a
    large photograph itself. People's jaws dropped and eyes popped out when
    they went up close and realized it was all torn magazine colors. I
    thinks the students payed MORE attention to subtle color/value changes
    having to rip paper than they would have if they had to mix colors with
    paint. It was a great intro into a painting unit, but took a very long
    time to complete.

    Hope this helps.

    LynnMarie

    ---