Fw: Patty, Patricia and Audrey Flack

From: Jan Ragab (janragab)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 13:41:48 PDT

    Message was sent back
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Jan Ragab
    To: Patricia Knott
    Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2000 10:41 AM
    Subject: Patty, Patricia and Audrey Flack

    Dear Patty,

    Thanks so much for your email, I really appreciated you writing. I'm sorry it has taken so long to get back to you but we have been away for a while and I am only just getting down to catching up with everything.
    It was wonderful how the topic of dieting opened up so may other subjects for discussion- for me it was the fact that keeping fit was so important, then on to Audrey Flack who I knew little about till I bought her book. I enjoyed all the emails about her which gave so much more information and especially yours when you said you had actually heard her speak and how vibrant she was, that was just such a delight for me to read as I was impressed with her book.

    Going back to the original topic of health and why I was so interested in that was because I had broken my leg pretty badly at school two years ago -a nasty fall caused by construction debris on the stairs of our new high school building. I was out of school for about seven months as the break was so bad and it has been a long haul back again to try to recover some of the mobility that I used to have. I was in school in a wheelchair for a while, then on crutches and finally a walker boot. My art room is pretty big so it really was exhausting managing everything the students needed from instruction to supplies. The students were wonderful, very helpful and appreciated that I was doing my best to help them in spite of the disability. I was exhausted by the end of each day especially when it came to the big exhibition time, that was a killer! The whole experience made me realize more than ever how important it is to be fit and healthy if you are an art teacher, as we do so much physical as well as mental work. I used to joke that in the next life I would like to come back as a math teacher as they need only text books, pens and a chalk board!

    Well finally a last word, just to let you know how pleased I am about the other Patricia getting a new job in Argentina. It was thanks to the listserv that I saw her letter and wrote to her about our school needing a teacher, it was quite incredible how it all worked out. I'm the art coordinator at Lincoln, the American International School there in Buenos Aires and one of our staff was leaving and we were really stuck as we needed an Argentine national to satisfy the Argentine requirements of our program. We had interviewed some candidates but hadn't been too thrilled with their lack of experience, so finding Patricia who fitted all the criteria beautifully was just incredible. It will be a pleasure to work with her and I can feel already she will add a lot to the program. So thanks to the listserv all this has all come about.
    At the moment I'm enjoying the weather in sunny Florida, it will be quite a contrast returning soon to the winter weather of Buenos Aires.
    Best wishes for now,
    Jan

    ---