"Freedom Quilt" and project

From: Rdunkelart
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 09:13:14 PDT

    In a message dated 7/17/00 9:45:02 AM Central Daylight Time, kimberly
    writes:

    << There was a neat book I read awhile back about a girl who was a slave. She
     worked as a seamstress in the main house. Using scraps of fabric she was
     given she created a quilt that was really a map that led slaves to the first
     station on the Underground Railroad. Does anyone recognize this book? >>

    Kimberly - This book is titled "Freedom Quilt" unfortunately I have forgotten
    the author. I read this book to my thrid graders and then I did a large
    patchwork quilt with embroidery - 60 kids!!!. and it turned out so well. We
    planned it so that the river
    ran through the middle from top left to lower right and the plantation area
    at the top
    had more geometric patterns and man-made shapes. As we reached the middle
     we felt we were on the way to the "freedom land" and we changed our patterns
    to more colorful ones and natural shapes such as animals and flowers. It was
    a beautiful quilt and became a source of comfort for many -as our beloved
    school
    nurse died suddenly of a heart attack. We decided to dedicate it to our
    nurse and
    we shed tears and talked of fond rememberances as we sewed and embroidered.
    This was displayed at our local library and given a special award. When our
    third
    graders graduated from fifth grade we presented this quilt to our nurses
    daughter
    for her safe keeping.

    I stitched the top quilt to a large bed sheet and we put tie stitches through
    all.
    Even the boys loved this sewing project and the embroidery!!! Roberta

    ---