Re: synectic games

From: Yvette Lewis (yvlewis)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 06:33:24 PDT

    > I have never played this game but always wanted to after I got into hs.
    The
    > book Art Synetics (by Nicolas Rourke?) has a game in it that is played to
    > music

    This message got a little long!

    I have done this project with my 7th graders. It was really great, They got
    into it. I split them into groups of three. They were to be from different
    planets that could only communicate with certain symbols. One could only
    make dots, one lines and one amophous shapes. I had it more specific but the
    plans are at school. I then timed their "communication" only one person
    "talking at a time" We then looked at the work of Kandinsky. The final group
    project was a cube. Each side of the cube had to connect and flow to its
    adjacent side. Some were painted some used makers. It was a very long and
    involved lesson based on the concepts of synectics. Speciffically the
    compressed conflict idea. So the main idea was frozen flowing. the cubes
    were in three different sizes, 6X6" , 8X8" and I think I had one 12x12" one
    year. They were great!

    I have used the Synectics books extensively for the 7th grade. My
    supervisor, when I was first hired (14 years ago) walked into a meeting with
    a pile of these books and announced that this was our new 7th grade
    curriculum! The teachers who had been there a long time really were angry
    but as a new teacher, I just did as I was told. It has been very interesting
    though. I did some extended research on Gordon who coined the word
    synectics.

    Anyone interested let me know.

    Yvette