re: games

From: mcgugan (mcgugan)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 06:13:55 PDT

    I have never played this game but always wanted to after I got into hs. The
    book Art Synetics (by Nicolas Rourke?) has a game in it that is played to
    music. Seems like it is a design project on a large sheet of bulletin board
    paper. Students are divided into groups and have different tools for
    stamping designs (round sponge, square, etc.) . A tape is recorded which
    has different kinds of music, when the music changes the students stamp
    their designs on the paper. I know I seem really vague here and I might
    even be combining two projects, but my book is at school.

    I did make an Art Bingo game using general terms (media, elements,
    principles, form) as an introduction to the language of art. Also, every
    item has a visual and the written term. It's very simple because we don't
    call out "B - relief sculpture", just "relief sculpture". Everyone
    eventually wins because the teams that win have to clear their board and
    start from scratch, while the others keep playing. All winners earn a treat.
    They always play until everyone wins, too.

    This summer I made a "McGugan's Color Bingo". It's more complicated and
    uses words or phrases that coordinate with definitions. For example,
    "yellow, red, orange" is "warm colors". It does use the bingo letters. I
    made it on Publisher so it looks better than my first game. It would be
    more of a review than an introduction.

    Joy

    ---