Cowboy Art

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 05:20:50 PDT

    I don't have a specific "cowboy" project to suggest, just a few comments.
    Keep in mind that only about 1/3 of the cowboys were white. The rest were
    black or mexican. With the influence of hollywood your students most
    likely have a different concept imbedded. Look up Black Cowboys or Black
    Rodeo on the web. Buffalo soldiers might get you some helpful
    information too.
    You might want to check out "Cowboy Poets" as a way to
    include literature into the projects. Baxter Black is one who comes to mind.
    As for exemplars try Frederick Remington or Charles Russell. The Gilcrease
    Museum in Tulsa is your best resource. Good luck on your lessons.
                            From Cow Town, Woody in KC
    The Kansas City Star this morning says that the Arts Commission rejected
    the idea of bringing the fiberglass cows project to Kansas City. Oh well,
    I guess that's why our local motto is "not your ordinary cow town"!!
            http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/home.pat,local/37749cce.717,.html
            http://www.kckcvb.org/

    --
                           To respond to me privately via E-mail