Re: Computer questions - saving favorites

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 20:57:24 PDT

    Here's my method for backing up. I had to write in down and keep it
    handy so I'd remember how to do it. Also, I heard on ZDTV today that
    backups on floppies is risky because they don't last. I need to find a
    server somewhere out on the web to save my files on.

    Anyway, here's what I do:

    TO BACKUP BOOKMARKS
    1- Create a new folder / name it Bookmarks/Addresses
    2- Go to "bookmarks" and then to "edit bookmarks"
    3- Go next to "file" and then to "save as"
    4- Name file bookmarks and hit save into folder Bookmarks/Addresses
    5- Repeat this on a regular basis, it should copy over old file of same name
    6- Copy folder Bookmarks/Addresses to disc on a regular basis (so it is safe)
    LATER to recover saved bookmarks if needed
    1- Insert disc and go to folder Bookmarks/Addresses click on file bookmarks
    2- Go to "bookmarks" and then to "edit bookmarks"
    3- Go next to "file" and then to "import"
    4- Double click on file bookmarks and it will import into your bookmarks
            (if there are duplicates it seems to leave two copies)

    TO BACKUP ADDRESSES
    1- Create a new folder / name it Bookmarks/Addresses
    2- Go to "communicator" and then to "address book"
    3- Go next to "file" and then to "export address book file"
    4- Name file addresses and hit save into folder Bookmarks/Addresses
    5- Repeat this on a regular basis, it should copy over old file of same name
    6- Copy folder Bookmarks/Addresses to disc on a regular basis (so it is safe)
    LATER to recover saved addresses if needed
    1- Insert disc and go to folder Bookmarks/Addresses click on file addresses
    2- Go to "communicator" and then to "address book"
    3- Go next to "file" and then to "import address book file"
    4- Double click on file addresses and it will import into your address book
            (it should copy over duplicates and add missing addresses)

    I hope that's of some help, Woody in KC

    --
                           To respond to me privately via E-mail
                               click on wduncan