Re: classroom art games

From: D. L. Sterner (dsterner)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 13:37:32 PDT

    I was switched from teaching art to teaching a 5th grade class for our summer school session. I adapted the game Monopoly to "Homework Monopoly" Free Parking is free homework! Chance and Community Chest are classroom oriented - complete an extra assignment, Principal's fee = 100 points, popcorn during silent reading ...stuff like that.

    I produced the game board in a simple graphic program and substituted the students' street names along with neighborhood streets for the street names used in the game. The rail roads became the students' bus numbers. Luxury tax and Income tax were replaced with behavior awards (or consequences). Those awards are negotiable with the teacher.

    To date, all the students do homework and it's not even my fault! The students beg to play. Naturally this might not work in a regular classroom setting - I teach in a special education setting and the class size is 7. Maybe this is useful to someone? E-mail me for the specifics at: dsterner