Re: Music + Visual Art Workshop HELP

From: PGStephens
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 11:03:45 PDT

    Kimberly:

    I note that Nancy has already referred you to the Crystal Production Art and
    Music study prints. The teacher guide is filled with ideas on how to
    meaningfully incorporate the concepts of art and music together.

    Possibly the biggest mistake that I see when art educators attempt to
    integrate art and music is that often the end product becomes little more
    than illustration. As art educators we bristle at the idea of art being used
    for illustrative purposes. Similarly, we should think of music, or any other
    content area for that matter, the same way and consider underlying
    disciplines of music or math or science or whatever as providing
    opportunities for searching for meaning.

    In a nutshell, look at a work of music and ask "what is the meaning?" or "how
    can I find the meaning?" then move forward to correlate how meaning in a
    particular piece of music meshes with meaning in a particular work of art.
    Finding meaning in both art objects will lead to deeper understanding and
    strengthen your program.

    Pam
    http://www.ARTeaches.com

    ---