Re: Music + Visual Art Workshop HELP

From: Nancy Walkup (walkup)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 10:20:02 PDT

    You might look at Crystal Production's Interdisciplinary Connections with Art and Music print set for ideas. You can get a free color catalog by calling 800-255-8629 (they're on page 79). The 5-print set includes artwork and activities about music (correlated with national standards) by Thomas Hart Benton, Andy Warhol, Allan Crite, Romare Bearden, and Mary Anne Jones.

    Some of the objectives we have used include:
    relate music/art to history, society, and culture
    compare music and art from the same time period
    identify music/art symbols and terms
    describe and analyze musical sound/artwork
    identify connections between music and other arts
    respond to and evaluate music/musical performance/artwork
    evaluate and justify personal responses
    incorporate and arrange music/art within specified guidelines
    incorporate basic rhythmic patterns
    perform independently and expressively

    Nancy

    walkup
    http://www.art.unt.edu/ntieva/

    >>> kimberly 07/17/00 12:06PM >>>
    Our educator just got the list of workshops for the local school district.
    She is listed as giving one on Music & Visual Arts. This was a surprise to
    her. At this point we don't know if it was submitted by the good
    administrator - who may have misunderstood her sure I would be happy to
    contribute to a joint workshop comment as sure I will head the workshop - or
    if the bad administrator did this to embarrass her and make the museum
    program look bad (he spent last year trying to sink us). The two of us are
    scrabbling to come up with some ideas to present to the good administrator
    tomorrow when she asks for help. (Rule number ONE always go is with some
    part of a solution when presenting the boss with a problem).

    Possible activities we've come up with
    1. Use literature to make a connection with the classroom teacher - music
    teacher - art teacher. Read books about the music being studied in music and
    use the illustrations for DBAE lessons.

    2. Pair up art and music teachers (maybe across grades have JH visual art
    students work with HS music students and vise versa) studying the same time
    periods at a concert have the art students give a presentation on stage or
    create a living museum in the lobby area before the concert, during
    intermission, and for a short period after the concert. Students dress up as
    the artist, average person from the time, critics, aristocrats and station
    them around the lobby (The lobby is decorated with student work resulting
    from DBAE lessons on artists of the same time periods as the composers) The
    students explain to all who they are and their opinions of the art and music
    of the time. One of the elementary schools does the living history museum as
    part of their social studies program and it is a big community hit.

    3. Have two separate events use the students' art as a background for the
    music concert/ have the musicians supply background music (from appropriate
    time periods) during the Art Show. (We almost always have background music
    at openings for the museum)

    4. Have the music teacher display reproductions of visual art from the time
    periods of the composers they are studying have the art teacher play music
    from the time period of the artists they are studying.

    Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
    CAM Administrator