Re: classroom art games

From: PGStephens
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 08:05:06 PDT

    In a message dated 7/17/00 9:05:06 AM Central Daylight Time, Mbhirst
    writes:

    > if any of you have new
    > ideas for using games(bingo, pictionary,etc.) in a high school classroom.
    > need some FUN art games to play with Art I kids. Any ideas?
    > Also, wonder if anyone has had art students create board games?

    Marcia:
    Art games have always been something I use to teach art concepts, whether the
    class is for pre-school or pre-service or in-service teachers. Meaningful
    art games make certain art concepts (e.g., aesthetic issues or critical
    analysis) less intimidating.

    I have had several articles published about some of the games I have created.
     If you subscribe to "Arts and Activities" or "School Arts," perhaps you have
    these back issues that will provide some ideas:

    October, 1996, School Arts, "An Assessment Strategy: Fun & Games" (about a
    BINGO sort of assessment game).

    Sept. 1996, Arts and Activities, "Meaningful Art Stations: More than Busy
    Work" is about games pre-service teachers in one of my classes developed and
    field tested.

    Sept. 1998, Arts and Activities, "Thinking Like an Artist" a puzzle game that
    older kids can create for themselves or younger students.

    Nancy Walkup and I have also published through Crystal Productions two
    commercial art games, ARTiculate (which is really high school appropriate)
    and Art Card Dominoes (adaptable for most grade levels from upper
    elementary).

    Hope this helps!

    Pam
    http://www.ARTeaches.com