Quilts, Duke Ellington and books

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 07:42:34 PDT

    The Fine Arts Museum is having an exhibit of Quilts in Gallery 1 this fall.
    At the same time in Galleries 2 & 3 they will have a Smithsonian traveling
    exhibit about Duke Ellington, this will tie into the Jazz Festival. The
    educator has asked me to recommend some books for her to include in her
    teachers guide (elementary level) as recommendations, so that teachers could
    use literature to tie into the exhibit and extend it in their classrooms.

    For Quilts I have
    The Keeping Quilt by Patricia Polacco
    The Folks in the Valley a Pennsylvania Dutch ABC by Jim Aylesworth (uses
    "quilt squares" for illustrations)
    Tar Beach by Faith Ringgold

    For Duke Ellington I have
    Ben's Trumpet by Rachel Isadora
    Duke Ellington by Andrea Davis Pinkney (great illustrations)
    Duke Ellington Getting to know the World Greatest Composers by Children's
    press.

    There was a neat book I read awhile back about a girl who was a slave. She
    worked as a seamstress in the main house. Using scraps of fabric she was
    given she created a quilt that was really a map that led slaves to the first
    station on the Underground Railroad. Does anyone recognize this book?

    Also I read a short bio of Faith Ringgold that talked about some of her
    neighbors in Harlem. One was a jazz musician, but I can't remember if it was
    Duke Ellington. I think the timing would be wrong. I thought the bio was at
    the back of one of her books but I can't find it.

    Do you have any books you would recommend to tie into these two themes?

    Thanks,
    Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
    CAM Administrator