Re: spontaneous beginnings and nonobjective splashes and splatters

From: artrageous
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 07:03:02 PDT

    Hi, Kimberly--

    You might want to have kids do "blottoes"--using either tempera or
    watercolor. I did some of these, myself, during a course I was taking one
    summer and it sort of unleashed a very bizarre creative power in me--ha!

    Basically we did the paint blot by just sort of squiggle a couple of colors
    of paint on one side of paper and then folding it together to let them mix
    together. (You can also do good lessons on symmetry this way.) Anyhow,
    once the paper was dry we were to "see" something in it and then enhance it
    with markers so that others could see the same thing.

    I "saw" a hippopotamus-like creature as well as a ram. I have digital
    pictures of both of these and would be happy to send them to you, as I don't
    yet have this lesson plan on my website.

    It was really a lot of fun and others in the class with me were sort of
    amazed by what they saw, too!

    (At the elementary school we did something similar with K classes using the
    book "It Looked Like Spilled Milk." We had the kids use white tempera on
    blue construction paper. They didn't enhance their paintings, but had to
    write a sentence about it as to what it looked like. What they "saw" was
    very, very cool!)

    Sharon
    EMAIL: artrageous
    AIM: SKBK56, ArtrageousSBK, & others