Re: art fair idea

From: Henry Taylor (taylorh)
Date: Sun Jul 16 2000 - 11:04:15 PDT

    When using exactos for tight professional effects, replace them
    FREQUENTLY. Five minutes of use (or less) or a few cuts (say
    10') of mat board can end their effective life. (foam is
    especially hard on blades) Save the worn blades for less precise
    uses like shaving pastels.

    For foamcore, other than the thinnest MAYBE, cut TO the middle,
    that is, cut or score the paper on each side seperately then do
    the finishing cut to separate. Tedious and expensive solutions
    but effective

    I've heard that a D or E steel guitar string works very well as a
    hot cutter along with a hobby 16V transformer or a 12v car
    battery -- originally intended for plain foam not sure how well
    it handles the paper exterior of foam core. Other untired tips:
    Electric carving knife, frozen foam core. I don't have any
    projects coming up but let me know if you try or have tried any
    of these.

    -henry

    ---