Re: book question

From: The Austin's (whest177)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 08:14:32 PDT

    Actually, the plot of this story is that two children run away and hide out
    in a museum. An angel statue is on display and Claudia (the little girl)
    becomes fascinated with it and wants to prove that the unknown artist is
    Michaelangelo. This book was a Caldecott winner around 1975, as welll as a
    William Allen White winner. It is really a cute book, but if you wanted to
    use this as motivation for a class you are going to have to spend 8-10 60
    minute classes reading to the class. I read it to my 4th graders two years
    ago when I subbed elementary library (I was 1/2 time art at the time, and
    this book fit perfectly in a library class). My favorite part of the entire
    book is when the kids bathe in the fountain!
    Michal

    > A fellow grad student asked our class last night about a book she had read
    > as a child and felt that it would be great motivation for lessons. She
    > couldn't remember the title and the rest of us were not familiar with it.
    > So I thought maybe someone on this list might know.
    >
    > It was about a little boy and girl and an older woman. It seems the woman
    > has hidden a small statue by Michelangelo and leaves clues for the kids to
    > find it. Seems like she mentioned a room full of file cabinets.

    ---