Re: Finished! Finally!...bulletin board idea

From: Buerkle, Jennifer (buerklej.fl.us)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 07:59:06 PDT

    I have a neat technique for filling a really large board and teaching gridding
    to kids as young as 3rd grade. You get color copies of two colorful (helps if
    it is kind of hard edge) prints. You cut one up in grid blocks. You can
    either label the back of each piece or not..if you don't, it is more like a
    puzzle. You give each child a square piece of blank white tagboard (or any
    heavy paper) and have them copy their piece. It is up to you whether you ask
    them to duplicate the colors or not. (If they don't, it looks interesting..
    kind of op art-ish). I have found it helpful to have them divide their little
    square into quadrants, and their correspondingly larger square into quadrants,
    as well. (It is also helpful to laminate the print you are going to cut up.)
    In order for them to make sure lines meet, etc., they will have to coordinate
    a bit with their grid neighbors. I usually use nice, fresh markers for this
    one, although paint would do, as well, or oil pastels. When they are done,
    you have a very large print and a real eye catcher. The most successful one I
    ever did was Picasso's Girl in Red Hat (I think that's the title.) Another
    was a Matisse paper collage. Obviously, with a long space to cover rather
    than tall (my boards are floor to ceiling) you'll want to go with a horizontal
    print.

    Jen

    ---