RE: proposed crazy schedule- middle school

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears.us)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 17:19:19 PDT

    A few years ago I had time built into my schedule for flex time - what a
    mess... "why does she have more time? "(Actually most of out teachers are on
    the heavy planning time - can be 2 1/2 hours a day for some - Spanish,
    computer etc...) What will be scheduled etc... We had teachers calculate to
    the minute what everyone had ...

    I ended up spending more time on acting as a resource for everyone else that
    I couldn't keep up with my class preps. Watch what you say you can do with
    that time, and how many classes you might work with. Our educational reform
    act is 10 years old - the arts and humanities are assessed in grades 5 and 8
    - and again in high school. I ended up focusing on those grades and pulling
    things together for all of us to incorporate into classes. Can you work
    with other specials to do this?

    I would have a real problem as a teacher being given lunch duty etc - I have
    told my principal that if it is good for one group of teachers it is good
    for all, and that the schedule illustrates what is important to the school.
    It is dangerous to create a hierarchy of teachers, and it sends the wrong
    message.

    For this coming year I am working with a group of primary teachers in a
    vertical team (inquiry based or so we say!) and I will have common planning
    with them at least one day a week. I will also have 4th and 5th with one
    common planning with 5th.

    Best of luck -
    Ellen

    ---