Renaissance Portraiture

From: L. E. Horvath (dulcius)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 09:31:05 PDT

    Brent,
    When I did a lesson on Ren./Classical Portraiture with older elementary, I had them focus in on the portrayal of costumes, different fabric textures, hairstyles, ect. I provided lots of reproductions which featured many different "fancy" costumes, including some worn by men and children.( the boys got a kick out of seeing how "fancy" men and boys used to dress!!) I had prepared cardboard ovals, about the size of a real face,which they used to trace a head out of flesh colored const. paper (thier choice of several different colors). The kids were then instructed to fold a large piece of const. paper in half (like a book, not a hotdog), and glue the head in the middle on the fold. The face was drawn on, with discussion of the fact that the eye line is actually in the MIDDLE of the head. The costume, hairstyle, and hat were created by collage, using "fancy" fabrics (velvet, satin, tapestry, and lace scraps), adhesive "jewels", ribbon pieces, etc. They turned out really neat! The kids seemed to really get into the project, even the boys. One boy made a George Washington type, complete with ponytail, ribbon, and ruffled cravatte. Another designed a full length (he added paper to the bottom) "Renaissance" basketball player in a satin uniform! It was a lot of fun, and was completed in a one-hour class period.
    -Lydia in Toledo, whose year of teaching kindergarten is over and who is finally going to have a "REAL" job teaching art starting in September!!! =:-D

    ---