The advantages of being on a listserve

From: margaret-jayne
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 03:15:06 PDT

    For me the advantages of belonging to a listserve are as follows:
    1. The feeling of having a support network that I can contact when it suits me. Itís a
    bit like being a member of a society without having to juggle my other commitments
    in order to attend monthly meetings or whatever.
    2. I am able to ask for help when I need to and receive quick replies.
    3. I can sit and type an e-mail in the middle of the night if I want to, which is often the
    only time I have to spare and when my mind is most alert! I donít have to worry that I
    am disturbing people, because they pick up the message when it suits them.
    4. I am able to converse with people all over the world, who have common interests,
    but come from different cultures and backgrounds, so bring a wealth of life
    experiences to the list.
    5. When I have limited time, I can read what others have sent in without worrying that
    I am offending someone by not being able to reply.
    6.The list provides me with huge amounts of information, links to useful sites and
    suggestions for things that might or might not work, without me having to spend
    hours wading through totally irrelevant sites on the web.
    7. If I am not interested in what someone is saying I can delete their e-mail, without
    upsetting anyone!
    8, As a part time lecturer, working at different venues, I can often feel isolated and
    being a member of the list helps me to realise that I am not alone. It is reassuring to
    hear people all over the world are dealing with the same kinds of problems that I am.
    9.Checking my e-mails has become an educational opportunity. I learn so much from
    the list all the time. I feel encouraged to take an interest in areas that I would not have
    otherwise considered.

    These are in no particular order, just as they occured to me. I hope that this is ok and
    of some use to you. Iím sure that other points will pop up in my mind throughout the
    rest of the day, but Iím sure Iíve covered my main motivations for wanting to be a
    part of this list.

    Best wishes.
    Margaret in England.xxx