Re: Benefits of a listserv (B Tysinger)

From: The Austin's (whest177)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 12:10:04 PDT

    There are several personal benefits for me. I am the only art teacher in my
    district. There are very few opportunities to converse with another art
    teacher, receive feedback on ideas, and basically have input from others who
    understand our unique position. Teaching art is different from teaching wood
    shop, music, band, home ec, etc. Yes, we are all elective courses (at least
    in my area), but I cannot ask any of these teachers how to get acrylic out
    of clothes, where to find information on Kahlo, rubric ideas for our museum
    trip, etc etc etc. The people on this list serv are my professional
    lifeline. I can glean new teaching ideas, keep up to date on the latest
    "buzz words" and theories. The only drawbacks that I can see is that I may
    never have a face to put with the names of some of my closest comrades!
    ~Michal

    > I am in a course that asks the question, what benefits do Art educators
    > receive from being aligned with a listserv. What kind of benefits do you
    > think you receive? Are there any drawbacks?

    ---