RE: Interesting lies- Was CBS Sunday Morning

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 19:54:08 PDT

    I student taught at the height of the Jurassic Park craze. The book was
    making the rounds in the 5th grade classroom I was assigned to. I
    particularly was impress by the detailed conversations I overheard comparing
    the “real book”, the movie, and a kids novel (the real book won hands down
    even with the kids who hated to read). I decided to capitalize on this when
    I did the writers workshop. I brought in boxes of books (mine, some checked
    out of the public library, others from the school library) on a variety of
    subjects including dinosaurs.

    One of the smartest kids and most well read (the difficulty with him was
    finding books that did not insult his intelligence but were age appropriate
    in content) brought a book to me complaining that it was wrong. A dinosaur
    was listed as being in X period not Jurassic but it was in Jurassic park it
    took about 30 minutes of the group of boys and I talking and looking at
    books for them to understand the many parts of Jurassic park were made up or
    facts changed to be more interesting (Plus some of the kids had been taught
    that dinosaurs were on earth at the same time as humans so they were arguing
    that point and that was more delicate, after all you can’t tell them their
    parents and ministers are going against all scientific evidence ).

    Another piece misinformation that drives me crazy is the “fact” Thomas
    Jefferson wrote the constitution. (He was ambassador to France at the time
    and an anti-federalist)

    I know these are not art related, hope you don’t mind
    Kimberly Herbert ( kimberly <kimberly> )
    CAM Administrator