Re: Interesting lies- Was CBS Sunday Morning

From: Henry Taylor (taylorh)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 09:31:13 PDT

    There's a good article in The Smithsonian magazine (wow two mentions in under a minute! --one off-list)
    on The Patriot. Talked about those same Re-enactors there too. I just saw U-571 this a weekend another case of deliberate misinformation in response to the readings of the expectations and capabilities of the audience. (the Enigma Machine encoder was originally snatched by the Brits and not Harvey Keitel and Jon Bon Jovi evidently American movie-goers wouldn't have gone to see a movie about British heros--no wonder the James Bond movies have all flopped! HA!)

    It's such a shame but typical of the human mythologizing process I suppose. Makes you wonder how much of the stuff we "KNOW" is wrong simply because the teller of the (historical) tale found it important to swerve from the known facts for the sake of something other than boring history. Maybe one of the new wiz-kids will discover the "compulsive honesty gene" one of these days but I somehow doubt it.

    As far as having an accurate picture of a thing this screwing around with the story is disasterous. On the other hand the "noise" inserted by errors deliberate or errors accidental sometimes pays off when the mistaken perspectives leads through other errors perhaps to greater insights that might never have happened. . . . like irrational numbers in mathematics. Or when the formula doesn't work unless you ADD "X" here only to SUBTRACT that same "X" three steps later.

    "It's a mystery!"

    <VBG>
    -henry