Interesting lies- Was CBS Sunday Morning

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 08:39:51 PDT

    Glenn mentioned the fact that we can't always believe what we see on TV. There is more of a danger of 'misinformation' now than ever before because of TV, movies, and of course the Net. A lot of web-sites I visit about famous artists don't include the information about the author or any of the references used to find the information. It could be an informed expert on art history or a fourth-grader who wants to write something on their favorite artist.

    Last Tuesday (the 4th), I went to a re-enactment of the Revolutionary War at a nearby historic home. Several of the soldiers were extras in The Patriot. They were furious about how inaccurate the movie was and how the directors ignored all the information they gave them (Example: the Tories would have worn green coats but the directors were afraid the American audience wouldn't recognize the green coats as British soldiers). Now, I know the director's excuse is that the movie was more about the relationship of the people in the movie rather than a historic depiction of the war. But, I still think they owe a certain responsibility to tell the truth as much as possible because people believe what they see.

    There's a lot of stretching the truth for the sake of the story in art history, too.  Even the art textbooks are wrong at times. What is better: Misinformation or no information at all? Do you ever find yourself having to re-teach the truth?

    Michelle H. Harrell
    michelle_h_harrell
    Southeast Raleigh High School
    Center for Accelerated Studies