Aesthetics

From: PHimmelber
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 07:31:04 PDT

    Leah, et al....have been reading Berenson, Carpenter, Coomaraswamy, Descartes
    and others to distraction. What I have distilled is that the spirituality and
    humanity involved in the aesthetic experience is pre-eminent, though, not all
    writers apply both to their arguments. Certainly, this is obvious to anyone
    with a background in philosophy... and seems almost self evident to those of
    us who have none. Digging deeper, I have tried to apply an 'anti-aesthetic'
    to some plaster scuptures made this summer. The attempt involved making a
    figure, in this case an archer, whose proportions, balance, movement, etc.
    were all counter to my aesthetic sensiblilities. In contrast a more
    'aesthetically pleasing' form was essayed. My inclination is to discuss the
    forms with my students when we get back to school... just to see what
    aesthetics might mean to the process. There is much more but there are
    pressures of job at hand so I had better get to work. Peter

    ---