re: Student teachers

From: Michelle Peck Williams (mpwill)
Date: Sat Jul 08 2000 - 15:10:38 PDT

    I think it is perfectly fine to do what you did with your other student
    teacher. I always start mine with one class and let them have that for a
    couple weeks, then add another, etc.

    Also, I agree with you, that I would NEVER have a student teacher just teach
    my lessons. I would hate it if someone else did that to me. They are
    welcome to look at mine as resources, but I show them other resources, too,
    and encourage them to find their own ideas. When in real life will they
    ever just do someone else's lesson (unless they only sub)?

    I have mine turn in an outline at least a week ahead, and then their "real"
    lesson plans TWO days ahead, so that I can read them and then discuss with
    them, then they can revise and I can look over the "second draft" again
    before they teach it. That works pretty well.

    Michelle Peck Williams :)
    Humanities Teacher
    Paul Laurence Dunbar High School, Lexington, KY
    mpwill

    "To know what you know and know what you do not know is the character of one
    who knows."
    -Kung Fu Tzu (Confucius)

    ---