Excellence in Education

From: mdecker (mdecker)
Date: Sun Jul 09 2000 - 05:15:10 PDT

    I know many of you have had trouble with bad administrators....so I am
    offering help to the list. I won the Employee Excellence award a year ago
    May (1999). I was not proud of this award per-se because...hey I was only
    doing my job. My superintendent gave me a hand shake and said "Well
    Deserved"...my administrator said to my husband--not to me "Well I guess
    those late nights paid off"....you should have seen the look on my husband's
    face....oooo.

    If you have trouble with a building administrator, work to gain the support
    of your school board and superintendent. I have worked very hard to do that.
    It is up to you to make art important for your students. If it means staying
    after school with students and working week-ends...I highly recommend it.
    This is what the certificate states:

    "Excellence is an art won by training and habit. We do not act rightly
    because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we
    have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an
    act, but a habit."

    I continue to act in this way. This is the way I was brought up to believe.
    This is the way my father worked and I admire him greatly (now deceased). My
    father is the one who taught me how to be happy all the time--to be
    thankful. I try to help others be happy, too. Do not let anyone try to break
    your spirit for what you do. The kids need for you to be there and enjoy
    your job. Now I am enjoying my job by helping you.

    I will not share the rest of the story....you wouldn't believe it
    anyway....nobody does. I am glad I had this opportunity to vent just a
    little. After all....what are opinions anyway? they are just opinions....and
    these are mine.

    I am here for anyone who has had to deal with similar situations.
    mdecker

    Judy

    P.S. If anyone ever needs any good quotes ask me or Lawrence Parker
    (Lawrence has sent me many the boost my spirit).

    ---