Blow ME Away

From: Alasann1
Date: Sat Jul 08 2000 - 15:08:44 PDT

    Well, here I am, back in the art world.
    New Masters, three kids (9,13,16) BFA in Painting and Sculpture
    I went for a job interview Friday to see if I could hack it. Never in a
    million years would I have thought the school might be interested. I just
    wanted to sit there and get slammed with questions and see if I could stand
    up to the heat in a neighboring town before courting the local boards.
    This is what they expected:
    They wanted team teacher collaborations for 2 hours of every day, along with
    four-45 minute classes. I would be expected to get each group of kids up to
    snuff for humanities testing in the compact 9 week session I have them. (Of
    course they could get "Art" first quarter and not be tested until 3rd quarter)
    They wanted me to come in early and stay late definitely one day a week to
    work with GT kids in an art club.
    Oh, and for the last 45 of the day they wanted me to mentor 8 kids so each
    would leave on a positive note.
    No extra art budget had ever been established. Previous teacher ordered stuff
    already for the year and it is lost presently.
    There is an annual art exhibit and a local museum and the art teacher needs
    to mount and personally hang all of it so it will look right.
    The kids had urinated on the wall in the bathroom for so long that the smell
    greeted me for 30' before I ever got to the art room.
    Well, I was offered the job.
    And I know I am supposed to be thrilled.
    I would have to drive a minimum of 2 hours each do to do this.
    The folks did not even have a pay scale- "had not thought about it, sorry.
    Could we mail you one? OH, but please let us know by tomorrow if you could."
    Just come on in and we'll pay you something.

    I have the option of doing work at home and with local programs.
    If I had not gone for that job interview, this next nine months might have
    not looked quite so appealing.
    I truly believe an attitude changes the way everything looks.

    ---