RE: A&E broadcast / the law ?

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
Date: Sat Jul 08 2000 - 11:43:27 PDT

    This has come up frequently on this listserv. From what I have read
    elsewhere this is an urban legend. Can anyone site a specific case (Disney
    vs. ____________)? If this really happened it would have been all over the
    news, with pickets and boycotts, ABC reporting and reminding us they are
    owned by Disney - everyone else reporting and reminding us that Disney owns
    ABC. I don't remember anything like that happening - and I have a mind for
    that kind of trivia. Since this comes up frequently, I'll submit it to a
    couple of different urban legend sites I know about and see if the
    researchers find anything.

    I would be careful though about showing Disney videos not because of Disney
    but parents (especially in the southern US) some are boycotting because of
    the Southern Baptist Convention calling for it. Others are boycotting
    because they buy into the urban legends about hidden messages or pornography
    in the animated movies. I avoid them because I hate being stuck in a dark
    room with one or more classes and the kids sing along off key (If I can tell
    they are really off key).

    BTW there are many urban legends about Disney from the stuff about the
    animated movies to them covering up kidnapping rings by paying off the
    parents.

    Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
    CAM Administrator