Architecture sites(some for early ed.-highschool)

From: John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Date: Sat Jul 08 2000 - 07:57:35 PDT

    Kimberly these are old- the best book I use is the "Frank Lloyd
    Wright for kids", I just packed it so I don't have the author. Also
    my boys love the series (which escapes me) of architecture books
    with see through pages, you can see how castles, huts, temples look.
    Some of these links are old- also I posted links over the past 2 and
    a half years so you might try the archives.
    Sandra

    Here are some sites for architecture:
    This is the best* for education make sure you look at the green
    pepper which is really a good way to show a child elevation with
    it's sections-home page and then specifics
    http://whyy.org/aie/page2.html
    http://whyy.org/aie/new-stuff/class_projects/class_projects.html
    http://school.discovery.com/schrockguide/arts/artarch.html
    http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Dell/9575/ArchiDoodles1.html
    more lessons at bottom

    Skyscrapers for kids using claris:
    http://www.erving.com/models.html

    Ask eric- if you loose it just type in architecture erase all of the
    web site but after the edu and the eric's main page will come up and
    type in the word in the box.
    http://ericir.syr.edu/plweb-cgi/fastweb?searchform
    *Architecture:
    http://ericir.syr.edu/Virtual/Lessons/Arts/Architecture/ARC0001.html
    Bridges:
    http://ericir.syr.edu/Virtual/Lessons/SLMAM/Into_Curriculum/Art/building_bridges.html

    Mayan architecture:
    http://www.halfmoon.org/average.html
    http://www.halfmoon.org/index.html
    http://forum.swarthmore.edu/alejandre/mathfair/mmflinks.html

    All FL Wright:

    I'm going to forward my cantilever lesson I did with 5 year olds.
    It's a great way to explore just what it means and to go along with
    looking at "Fallingwater". Here are also some web sites:
    Frank LLoyd Wright:
    Very nice images of the history of wright-to be copied or scanned
    and then placed on poster board and laminated> I did this to put up
    in room while doing him.
    http://www.muw.edu/~jalford/312Images/d-EarlyFLWInternl/ImagEarlyFLWInternl.html
    http://arts-crafts.com/__165fab0b/archive/flwright.html
    http://lcweb.loc.gov/exhibits/flw/flw.html
    101 links of wright:
    http://www.clr.toronto.edu:1080/WB/webboard/messages/303.html
    http://www.myhero.com/hero.asp?hero=flwright
    http://www.pbs.org/flw/
    http://www.artsednet.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/Resources/Sampler/b-5.html
    http://oprf.com/wright/

    http://www.myhero.com/hero.asp?hero=rbfuller
    Fuller links
    http://www.thegateway.org/index2/artsarchitecture.html

    Books
    Frank Lloyd Wright for Kids
    The Architecture Pack
    The World Atlas of Architecture with forward by John
    Juluis Norwich, Portland House, pub., ISBN O-517-66875-0.
    highschool:

            A PATTERN LANGUAGE, by Christopher Alexander. Philosophy of
    architecture. Other books by same author -- LINZ CAFE and TIMELESS
    WAY OF
    BUILDING.

            LOOKING AROUND, by Witold Rybczynski. A collection of short
    essays
    on a multitude of observations on architecture.

            THE GOOD HOUSE; CONTRAST AS A DESIGN TOOL by authors
    Jacobson,
    Silverstein and Winslow. Useful architectural design theory.

            PLACES OF THE SOUL, by Christopher Day. Covers a broad
    scope of
    ideas in architecture.
    I also have handouts and lessons on some of the above which I have
    done over the years.
    Sandra
    There are more sites but I'm tired. I was up late last night at a
    bookstore with my kids waiting for the Harry Potter book 4 to come
    out.
    astroboy

    ---