Re: wise use of the list....response from Bunki....

From: Nalin
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 23:11:36 PDT

    Greeting to all,

    I have not been subscribed to this list over the past few months and now that
    I have the time, I am picking up bits and pieces of the discussion regarding
    the continuing status of the list.

    On July 7, Larry quoted a previous posting (I assume Bunki),
    << > Getty knows the value of a forum for art educators and chooses to keep us
    > together for another year despite the other avenues and despite the
    > overhead. I understand this. Our scare has opened my eyes to the tenuous
    > ground on which our listserv stands. It would be a real shame if
    > some people wanted to "make a stand" and threaten our dear list.

    It would be sad to loose the tremendous collective of knowledge that is now a
    part of ArtsEdNet. I have searched the archives for a particular topic, I
    have used the advocacy documents with my school board and administrators, I
    have come to know and sought advice from individual educators and met them at
    NAEA Conventions and I have used the curricular and image resources in my
    classroom.

    I would like to have ArtsEdNet continue and grow, but as with the Internet,
    organizations do evolve and change. If the mission of the Getty is changing,
    it might be best to seek out others to pick up where one leaves off. There
    is an organization dedicate to Art Education, it is the National Art
    Education Association. There are other organizations interested in arts
    education or the arts in general as well. It is always better to be
    proactive than reactive so maybe now is the time for NAEA members in each
    state to communicate with their state organization the importance and need of
    this type of support and service.

    Perhaps there are already other listservs available that few of us know
    about. Some have membership or affiliation requirements/restrictions but
    others maybe able to take on a bigger audience.

    Lorena Nalin
    Tucson, AZ
    Sunnyside HS
    & past-past AZ Art Ed. Assoc. Pres.