Re: Sunday Art CBS

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 20:25:41 PDT

    I wrote to CBS years ago and got a phone call back. I was told that some
    segments could be purchased for $200 each but I could not be given
    permission to tape and use them in the classroom. I have compiled tapes
    for years and use them on occasion. So far I have not been turned in for
    showing stolen videos in class. My district has a very strict policy against
    use of video without a site license. And they are great art segments, 5-7
    minutes in length and great for introducing or following up a lesson.
                                                    Woody in KC
    I hope someone finds out differently this time. I decided a ways back
    just plunge ahead with what I thought was good teaching and stop trying
    to stir up the legal questions. For the most part I just get answers I don't
    wish to hear.

    Rdunkelart wrote:

    > The following is a reply to my e-mail after watching CBS Sunday morning

    > I'm not sure whether or not an art compilation of sorts would be possible,
    > but I'll definitely suggest your idea to the producers of our show.
    > Also, I'm not sure if you already know this, but it's possible to order tapes
    > of our show by calling 1-800-242-7747. Some of the segments that air
    > on our show can't be ordered because of licensing agreements, and,
    > unfortunately, art pieces often can't be distributed. However, we can
    > make exceptions in some cases (especially for teachers, with the
    > understanding that they'd use the segments for educational purposes
    > only). So my suggestion is that if you ever see a piece you like, you can
    > order it, and if you have trouble, you can send a letter/ email to us
    > explaining why you want the video, and we'll see what we can do for
    > you. (FYI: Our mailing address is: CBS Sunday Morning/ 524 W. 57th St.
    > / New York City, NY 10019)

                           To respond to me privately via E-mail
                               click on wduncan
    You are welcome to visit my Web Site at