Re: drawing with K-5 students

From: Henry Taylor (taylorh)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 10:34:23 PDT

    You know how the younger ones (if not most everyone) starts with
    a green line for grass at he bottom of the paper and maybe a blue
    sky line at the top with a quarter pie slice sun tucked into a
    corner. From 1st grade on I am starting to ask them to move that
    all up into the upper 1/4th or so of the paper so that they have
    more room to draw on things into. It's a "primitive convention".
    Later we can tie in to egyptian and medieval art conventions as
    well as folk art primitivism. There are some nice Hmong and San
    Blas fabric pieces which use it.

    Next level is to incorporate overlapping--putting things and
    people behind or in front of other things or people to gain a
    sense of depth.

    Then we'll add in size as a component... smaller sizes higher on
    the paper (further back in the space)

    Third grade last year did an immersion in this. This year as 4th
    graders we'll work on drawing what we see as we see it. still
    life and landscape.

    Commander Mark is a decent resource for basic 3-D drawing
    With the older kids I'll probably work more with the classic
    methods.

    cheers
    henry