Re: drawing with K-5 students

From: maryannkohl (maryann)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 09:57:30 PDT

    First, there is free drawing with the youngest ones (k, 1, 2). Just draw
    and color. Get happy. Get comfy.

    (By the way, I'm not an art teacher...just a teacher who likes art who
    teaches kids who all seem to like art too)

    My kids (grades 1 and 2 specifically) always like doing still life's,
    sketching in detail from something "posed" before them, like a bowl of
    flowers or a teddy bear, or whatever. They always amaze themselves with
    their abilities to capture a likeness. Then we focus is on one part of
    the entire drawing, and redraw that with even more attention to detail.

    I have had good success with "themes" in drawing/art with grade ones and
    twos...they choose a subject or object, which they then draw or otherwise
    employ through many mediums...crayon resist, charcoal, colored pencil,
    paint, realistic and cubist, and so on. Even kids at this age are amazing
    in their focus and creativity. Ultimately, I ask them to return to
    drawing the original object with pencil only, and what a difference!! The
    details explode freely after immersing themselves in the foregone myriad
    experiences.

    We spend a lot of time on facial expressions...how the eyebrows, eyes,
    etc. can change an expression.

    Anyway, just for starters......
    MaryAnn Kohl

    >I love artsednet, but don't have time now to read every message as I
    >used to do; maybe one day......... Anyway, I'm asking for your input
    >on the question of how you approach the teaching of drawing to K-5
    >students. What do you teach and how do you teach it? I look forward to
    >you comments. Thanks. ann in nc
    >

    >---

    maryann
    http://www.brightring.com