Re: drawing with K-5 students

From: The Austin's (whest177)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 08:38:09 PDT

    I use the "I draw, you draw" method. I like to have an example of whatever
    it is we're drawing. I show them how it can be broken down into basic
    shapes. Then I draw the object while they watch, then we "practice draw"
    together. We may practice several times before we draw the "real one". I do
    let them use whichever drawing turned out best, regardless of whether it was
    practice or real. I use this clear into 6th grade (our 6th graders are still
    considered grade school). I guess I pretty much become a "how to draw"
    living book! I'll occasionally use this in middle/high school also. Before
    anyone gets upset about the lack of creativity in these lessons, creativity
    comes in other lessons or in how the drawing lessons are completed!
    Michal

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I love artsednet, but don't have time now to read every message as I
    > used to do; maybe one day......... Anyway, I'm asking for your input
    > on the question of how you approach the teaching of drawing to K-5
    > students. What do you teach and how do you teach it? I look forward to
    > you comments. Thanks. ann in nc

    ---