Re: supplies - Thanks! Empty Supply Closet (Teresa)

From: Janjarreau
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 21:29:43 PDT

    This is good advice and a good moral Teresa. Since I have not seen my "new
    classroom" I may need to teach with very little supplies in the beginning.
    I just landed my first teaching job today and I personally have a library of
    art books. Something told me to bring a couple of books with me to the
    interview. It was weird b/c I didn't do that with the other interviews. The
    2 books I brought in were "Drawing With Children" by Mona Brooks and "Art
    History" (Barron's EZ-101 Study Keys) by Robert Myron. My thinking was;
    Middle school kids are hard on themselves about drawing around that age.
    Some either go on and really learn to draw or some give up and think they
    can't do it. When the principal asked me how I would handle students saying
    they cannot draw or do art. What would I tell them? I pulled out the Mona
    Brooks book and said this is what this book is all about. There are rules to
    drawing and it can be learned. Art is not for just the talented...etc. Then
    when he got to the part about how I can make art relevant in kids lives along
    with some other questions; I was able to show the very "thin" art history
    book and say this is a very condensed art history book that will not scare or
    bore the students...I don't know what possessed me to bring in those books,
    but I am glad I did. I plan to use all of my resources and I am happy I will
    be able to put to use all of the art stuff I have invested in throughout the
    years. Money well spent and I know the kids will benefit from it. Thanks
    for the warning of the empty supply closet.
    Janice
    In a message dated 7/6/00 10:57:51 PM Central Daylight Time, Tsheffey
    writes:
    > the moral of
    > this rambling is:
    > At the end of the school year I was so amazed at how well all of my
    students >
    > could draw (I teach 5 Art 1 classes). One football player even said to me,
    > "Mrs. Sheffey, I didn't think I had it in me but you showed me that anyone
    > can learn to draw."
    > So now, I try to have a kind of "wait and see" attitude about what
    > supplies
    > I end up and build around it. And for all of you out there who feel you
    > don't have what you need, you can never teach enough drawing!!!!
    > Good luck to all of you in new jobs!!! My thoughts are with you!
    > Teresa Sheffey
    > El Paso, TX

    ---