RE: Art imitates LIfe

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 20:44:58 PDT

    Two quick things - 1. If you want to protect your copyright to these
    materials put something on each one saying it is for personal use not
    publication (I've had professors do this) and send yourself a copy via
    registered mail, sign for it, and do not open it. If someone later accuses
    you of stealing their idea you can take the sealed envelope into court and
    have proof you developed the material. 2. You are not alone. We have people
    show up at the museum with artwork they want us to fix (that is what you do
    is the comment), or to appraise it. BTW Museums cannot appraise work do to
    an ethical conflict. Here is the problem - sometime in the future the
    artwork may be donated or sold to the museum. The museum can be accused of
    giving a low appraisal to be able to buy it at a lower price.

    Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
    CAM Administrator