RE: Tin Plate art/Calder

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 20:34:32 PDT

    I did an activity with 2nd-3rd graders today using Calder as inspiration.

    Supplies
    Wire hangers with the bottom wire cut out leaving about a 1" hook on each
    side (I did this before hand) Keep the bottom wire
    Heavy-duty aluminum foil
    Oil Pastels
    String
    A hole punch
    Scissors

    Procedure
    1. Share pictures of Calder's mobiles discuss the how the mobile moves and
    the importance of planning
    2. The kids cut shapes out of the aluminum foil and color with the oil
    pastels
    3. On a large flat surface (I prefer the floor) plan your mobile using the
    bottom wire for a second level (I had the children use two strings to attach
    the bottom wire to make it easier to balance)
    4. Students use the hole punch make the holes in each piece of aluminum foil
    5. Students measure the string for each piece of aluminum foil (double it)
    6. Thread the string through the hole tie the two ends at the top making a
    large loop (if the kids tie it at the foil they tend to tear it)
    7. Secure the string to the hanger by pulling the aluminum foil through the
    top over the wire (pull tight by pulling on the string not the foil or it
    will tear.
    8. Hang by the hanger hook.

    The kids liked the fact that they got to use something other than
    construction paper for their pieces.

    Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
    CAM Administrator