Re: artsednet digest: July 05, 2000

From: Jan Ragab (janragab)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 14:00:50 PDT

    One of the things I think we all love about this list is it's diversity, the
    topics are always changing, the subjects so incredibly varied. As K-12
    teachers our interests certainly differ but our goals are the same- a deep
    concern for good art education.
    In light of the latest threads that were connected to health (sensible
    eating, as well as enjoying the stimulating outdoors for both reviving the
    spirit and physical fitness) I would like to share a word from Audrey Flack
    in her book "Art and Soul' Notes on Creating, which I recently picked up at
    a bookstore.
    This section is called ARTISTS AND ATHLETES:
    "Like athletes, artists must be in excellent physical shape in order to
    create their best works. Artists stand when they paint, walk back and forth
    hundreds of times a day during the painting process.
    Action comes not from the wrists alone, but from the entire painting arm.
    Like an elegant fencer, with one arm forward and the other behind the back,
    the entire body is put into motion. Abstract expressionists knew this; that
    is why they were called 'action painters'

    Jan

    ---