Re: its all greek to me

From: Ann Heineman (aheinema-state.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 04:23:13 PDT

    Hi Chris,

            Several years ago my elementary level students made a mock 3-D
    model of
    a Greek temple that we transformed into a piggy bank vault. All we needed
    was construction paper, 8 toilet paper tubes (white preferred) for the
    columns and some sturdy cardboard for the detachable roof. A slot was cut
    in the roof to deposit money or other small treasures. The children studied
    Greek architecture and culture and named their banks after mythological
    characters ie. Bank of Apollo or Penelope's Credit Union. We also noted
    samples of "Classical" architecture in the community. Let me know if you
    want more details.
            Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus

    |I'm teaching a group of 3-5th graders this summer. I'd love
    |to do some architecture or mythology but am not sure how to go about it with
    |this age group. Any suggestions? Thanks a million chris

    ---