Re: gallery curator

From: DeDeRuss
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 06:09:19 PDT

    Dear Russel,
    You can send me some photos of your work if you wish to present to the
    committee. We review artist's work several times per year and decide who
    will have a show. Our gallery is within the school so work has to be
    appropriate for pre-k through 8 students. We have about 6 shows per year,
    each show is up for about a month. We have an opening reception one evening
    in which the parents, students and public is invited. After that the gallery
    is open by appointment. All work has to be for sale, with 25% going to
    school if work is sold. We have 500 postcards printed with the work of the
    artist on the front. The gallery does all the advertising to 18 newspapers
    (including NYC and Philly), cable TV and radio as well as flyers distributed
    though out community. The artist is required to come to school for one day
    to present an "artists talk" to the students. They come to visit the artist
    in the gallery by age appropriate groups and are always enthralled! This is
    why we often get teacher/artists who enjoy showing in our gallery. The
    gallery has a wonderful hanging system and excellent lighting, but we are
    equipped to hang 2D work only. The gallery committee will probably start
    meeting when school begins shortly in the fall. If you are interested in
    being considered for a one man show please feel free to send some photos of
    your work in Sept or Oct. As I said before we are filled for the coming
    school year but are starting to review for next year. We have had some
    wonderful artists in the past. If you want to see something from our last
    exhibit by John King, a photographer check out our school webpage and click
    on The Gallery at Chapin....www.chapinschool.org We haven't got our
    current exhibit schedule up yet, but hopefully they will by Sept. Or you may
    stop by the school to see our first show by Roxanne Weidele, reception will
    be on Sept 13, 5:00-7:00pm. Thanks for your interest.
    Diana Russo
    Curator
    The Gallery at Chapin

    ---