New art on Judy D's Page

From: mdecker (mdecker)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 05:24:48 PDT

    Hi folks...I just had to take a break from scraping wallpaper in my kitchen.
    I put two new works on "My Art" page. I told several about the personal
    "castle" shrine (at the bottom of the page). That is the one I finished
    recently. The pieces are all low-fire clay. The pastel colors are majolica
    glazes. The richer, darker tones are all oil paint sticks (David Stabley's
    technique). I finished this to show my students when I do a unit on Retablos
    (maybe this year--maybe next). This piece is an example of the Art Talk List
    in "real life". Many of the glitz things were given to me by other art
    teachers in the class. The flat animals were molded from stamps from other
    class members as were many of the other textural elements (leaves, etc).
    There was incredible sharing in this class! It was so much fun (and the
    instructor was such a hoot!)

    The other piece "Celestial Family" pays tribute to my personal family and is
    a memorial to those who now watch over me from above. It is a gift to my
    son--who is interested in astronomy. You are not imagining little faces
    looking down....those are from a linoleum print. This work combines
    silkscreen with monoprinting and relief printing. The paper casting was
    finished with black spray paint and colored pencils. Everyone in my family
    is represented in the zodiac signs that are shown.

    http://www2.wcoil.com/~mdecker/my-art.htm

    (Save your questions on technique...e-mail at mdecker
    I have to go back up and scrape away some more...Removing wall paper is
    something I will NEVER do again...tee-hee...How come they never show that
    task in "This Old House"?)

    Judy

    ---