RE: Art Fat Unite and Leave

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 15:30:45 PDT

    Excellent point. This is why I tell the kids (toddlers - 12 years old) that
    there are no mistakes, just unexpected results when you are learning
    something new in art. So many kids expect their artwork to look like the
    artists work in the gallery. (not to mention the parents who what precut out
    parts for their kids to paste on paper while the parents guide the hands
    UGH) I've started asking the artists to include information about their
    learning process especially the frustrations in their artist statements.
    (So many artist statements are I've always loved to create art, I started
    when I was two blah, blah, blah . Giving our concrete thinking kids the
    impression that the artist produced artwork they see in the gallery at age
    2. (no it is not just the abstracts ;-) )

    I remember wanting to be a writer at a young age. By the time I was in 5th
    grade I didn't even what to try to put pen to paper I was so frustrated
    because nothing I wrote was good enough (having an at the time undiagnosed
    LD and vision problem didn't help) I was in 8th grade before anyone told me
    that authors revise their work and write many drafts, much less showed me
    how to do it. By that time I was convinced I couldn't write.

    Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
    CAM Administrator