Re: its all greek to me

From: DtGaffney
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 14:37:11 PDT

    Dear Chris,

    When I was student teaching last Fall I did this project with 4th graders.
    Use red clay about the size of soft ball and flatten out (with rolling pin)
    to be somewhat oval shaped . Let dry for a couple, few days. Then the kids
    can break off the edges very carefully so they look like pottery shards. Then
    the kids can use a pointed tool to incize lines into clay depicting
    characters or scenes from myths. It's a good idea to have some examples
    xeroxed and laminated for them to get ideas. They could even spell out their
    names in Greek.

    Next step is to bisque fire them. Next use black glaze so that some red clay
    shows through. These look like pottery chards dug up from a Greek
    achiological dig. The kids really liked them and it was interdisciplinary.

    How's that?

    Donna

    ---