RE: The Woody Diet

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 14:24:29 PDT

    > --but I think of this list as a professional list.
    > Marcia,

    With all due respect, this *is* a professional list; I wish I could find one
    so professional among my own philosophers/consultants. You don't want to
    know...

    > - but this kind of discussion doesn't belong here.

    Well,...yes and no (or, as Sartre titled his seminal opus, "Oui et Non" - I
    know; philosophers are strange). If you have been on the list for a while,
    as it sounds you have, then you know that a good 95% of what these teachers
    discuss is art and/or education related;...and they have been doing it the
    whole year!! They're amazing!

    But they have been open enough to let me freely participate in their
    discussions, as well as raise some points of a philosophical or theoretical
    nature. In fact, when I first came on the list, I was politely informed
    that "such philosophical topics usually don't go over well" on this list.
    As anyone on the list can attest, we've had quite a few interesting
    discussions along these lines!

    But more relevantly, yet keeping in mind the year's worth of professional
    discussion which has preceded this...ok, unusual...line of discussion, I
    have not been surprised at all with some of the topics/discussions -- *since
    school let out* !

    Marcia, these people are blowing off steam, tensions, anxieties, 9 months of
    kids, parents, administrators, peers, politicians, lesson plans, grade
    books, etc. etc. If they want to trail into this for a while, so be it;
    it's not the only thread.

    Ok?

    Lar (P)

    ---